Passwords are a real security threat. So if you want to safeguard your personal info and assets, creating secure passwords is a big first step. Recent reports show that over 80% of hacking-related breaches are due to weak or stolen passwords.
Here are some helpful tips.
- Use a password manager like LastPass to save your passwords.
- Always use a unique password for each account you create. Never reuse a password.
- Don’t use any personally identifiable information in your passwords like name, birthday, etc.
- Make sure your passwords are at least 12 characters long and contain letters, numbers, and special characters.
- If you’re creating a master password that you’ll need to remember, try using phrases or lyrics from your favorite movie or song.
- Avoid using personal information for your security questions.
- Avoid using similar passwords that change only a single word or character.
- Never share your passwords via email or text message.
- If the service you are signing up for offers two factor authentication, please use it!
Long story short, we recommend LastPass. It creates Impossible-to-crack passwords making them different for each website or app. The password generator tool runs locally on both PC and MAC, as well as your iOS or Android device. The passwords you generate are never sent across the web.
Apple iOS 12 has a built in feature creating convenience for its users, A Password Reuse Auditing Tool. It monitors the passwords that iPhone owners use for different services.
What are your thoughts on Password Generators? We would love to hear what you have to say!